The Community Health in Action (CHIA) awards committee is accepting award nominations for individuals and businesses that are working towards creating a healthier community.
New and on-going partnerships are vital to assure conditions exist where people can be healthy. We constantly hear of individuals, groups and organizations who are trying to help others in improving the health of our county and thus, the Community Health in Action award is meant to honor those who are working to improve overall health and create positive outcomes.
Categories for the Community Health in Action Awards include:
1. Healthy Culture – Related to policy change, such as ordinances, laws, regulations or policies in support of:
• Tobacco prevention
• Healthy living includes quality nutrition and/or physical activity
• Behavioral health includes substance abuse, depression, suicide, assault, etc.
2. Community Wellness Initiatives (CWI) – Related to activities, services, or programs resulting in improved health outcomes or healthier lifestyles that address prevention or reduction on the impact of chronic diseases, behavioral health or unhealthy living.
3. Individual Community Health Champion – Someone whose life is dedicated to improving health as demonstrated in both action and deed through volunteer work, promoting health or leadership.
Criteria for nomination of champions:
1. Nominations can come from an individual, business or agency.
2. Must work or live in Clay County.
3. Must be actively working on an initiative that addresses population based healthy living, tobacco prevention, behavioral health or who is a leader in policy/rule/law changes that impacts health.
4. Must be addressing improved health outcomes, policy change or health cost savings related to chronic disease or risk factors associated with chronic diseases, behavioral health or healthy living.
Member organizations include the Clay County Public Health Center, Excelsior Springs Hospital, Liberty Hospital, North Kansas City Hospital, Saint Luke’s Smithville and Tri-County Mental Health.
Submit your nominations by clicking the link below. They are due by 5 p.m. Oct. 21.