History

In the summer of 1953 the citizens of Clay County voted by an overwhelming margin of three to one to levy a mill tax to establish a local public health department to serve the people of Clay County Missouri. In the fall of 1953, the Clay County Public Health Center organized and began serving the people of Clay County. The Clay County Public Health center is organized under Missouri Revised Statues, Chapter 205.

Activities


The department immediately began activities to prevent the spread of disease and protect the health of Clay County residents. Food inspections, private sewage disposal system inspections and immunization and education programs were some of the beginning services provided by the Health Center. In 1954, the Polio vaccine became available and the Health Center began a vaccination campaign which played a significant role in eliminating that disease from the county.

Facilities


The Clay County Public Health Center has grown significantly over the years. In 1953, our first location was in rented office space at The First National Bank in Liberty. Demand for services grew quickly, and a larger location was needed. A new facility was built on Highway 152 in Liberty and occupied on November 30, 1956. Over the next 50 years, Clay County experienced a significant growth in population, which carried with it an increased demand for public health programs and services. It became clear that the Health Center needed to expand to meet those challenges. A brand new, state of the art facility was constructed in 2007. We moved into that location November 1, 2007.

Modern Health Center


The Clay County Public Health Center has grown significantly in terms of size and responsibility since those humble beginnings. Our mill tax rate remains the same as it was in 1953. Today, we are responsible for a wide range of community based prevention and education programs aimed at enabling the 230,000 residents of Clay County to enjoy a healthy lifestyle in the Northland!